- Critical Evaluation
- HR Expertise
Managing people can be very challenging, whether you are new to the job or have many years of experience. This class covers five areas that are essential for every manger to know and understand. Each module is designed to roughly follow the employee life-cycle and contains the essence of each topical area.
The class is very interactive with materials being presented through lecture, group discussion and exercises.
The class is appropriate for several types of managers. For the new manager it provides a solid base of information, for the seasoned manager it is a good refresher and for an organization that has is just starting to provide management training, it is an introductory step.
The full-day public class covers all five modules. The class is also ideal as an on-site for organizations that want to reinforce key management messages or want to establish a management foundation. The on-site program can be delivered with as a full day or a selection of modules that would be delivered during a half-day session.
1. The Managers Role – Creating a Positive Work Environment
- Transitioning from individual contributor to manager
- Defining the stewardship model
2. Hiring – Selecting the Right Person for the Job
- Planning and conducting effective interviews
- Making better selections
3. Onboarding – Setting Up New Employees for Success
- Defining the supervisor’s responsibilities
- Helping new employees commit and contribute to the organization
4. Performance Management – Maximizing Employee Contribution
- Setting expectations, coaching, providing documentation, and feedback
- Conducting performance improvement discussions
5. Compliance – Knowing what you need to know
- Overview of employment law acts and laws
- Why ethics matter, review of current events, and making ethical decisions
All levels of supervisors, managers, business owners, and others who have, or are interested in people-management responsibilities