To provide participants with a better understanding of the common issues that arises when managing employees in a union environment. This informative seminar focuses on the unique legal challenges supervisors face when operating under a union contract. Participants will examine the parameters of the union contract as it pertains to management rights, past practice; just cause termination, and grievance and arbitration administration. Participants will learn to initiate and implement good management practices that foster a positive relationship with the union and its employees.
- Conflicts between management rights and collective bargaining provisions
- Establishing the seven elements of just cause
- Effective grievance and arbitration administration
- The dangers of inconsistent enforcement and “past practice”
- Weingarten rights and union representation
- Review of recent Board decisions relevant to managing in a union environment
Supervisors, managers, and human resources specialists who work in a union environment